Bias against Creatives - Online Research

Photo by Nothing Ahead from Pexels

"Creativity is associated with nonconformity, unorthodoxy, and unconventionality. It conjures visions of the artist, the musician, the misunderstood poet. In other words, not the sort of people you usually put in charge of large organizations. Effective leaders, it would seem, should provide order, rather than tossing it out the window."

"The Bias Against Creatives as Leaders" by Heidi Grant Halvorson.

"...we celebrate innovative leaders and entrepreneurs and turn them into rock stars and celebrities. But interestingly, there is quite a bit of research which suggests that many of us actually have a bias against creative people. As in, we don’t want them to be our leaders, we don’t want them working for us, and most shockingly perhaps – we don’t want them in our classrooms."

"Do We Have a Hidden Bias Against Creative People?" by Noa Kageyama, Ph.D.

“I’ve been working for more than 40 years and I still get talked down to by the 22 year old guy....The public’s perception of musicians...is what needs to change, not the kind of music people listen to or what artists they like.....If I was in it for the money I wouldn’t be a musician, I would have become a plumber...I keep my sanity because of music. Really. I think I’d be a lot more of an unhappier person without it. I love it.”

"The Negative Stigma associated with Creative Careers" by Megan Pisarczyk

Comments